|Also Known as||Yumeno Sakiko|
|Physical and Vital Statistics|
|Manga||Volume 1, Chapter 1|
|Japanese Voice||Yuichi Nakamura|
|English Voice||Ty Mahany|
Umetarou Nozaki (野崎 梅太郎 Nozaki Umetarō) is the series' titular protagonist. He is a high school student, and the subject of Chiyo Sakura's affection. Nozaki works as a manga artist under the pen name Yumeno Sakiko, currently illustrating 'Let's Fall in Love'. His manga is being published by Monthly Girls' Romance.
Umetarou Nozaki is a tall high school student. He has sharp, black eyes and short, black hair. He has a muscular figure from training in the past, when he was the captain of the basketball club in his middle school. His school uniform consists of a grey blazer with the school symbol under the pocket. This is worn over a collared white shirt, which is tucked in, and navy blue pants. He also wears a skinny red tie and brown shoes.
Umetarou Nozaki is a talented manga artist who has a lot of passion for his two main characters, Saburou Suzuki and Mamiko. In fact, he is so passionate about manga that his life seems to revolve solely around doing research for it. For example, he loves Valentine's Day because the great variety of chocolates and pretty packaging make great references.
Despite making a romance-oriented manga praised for its sensitivity to girls' feelings, he has no personal experience in love and is rather blunt towards girls. His story ideas are often ridiculous and far-fetched, and he is rather unromantic in real life. He appreciates Chiyo's drawing ability but is apparently oblivious to her feelings.
Nozaki is extremely blunt when it comes to things like pointing at a girl's bra and saying that it is showing, and explaining to Sakura that he had never experienced his first love, despite the fact that he claims he is a love expert. He is oblivious and dense when it comes to love and feelings himself, especially those of Sakura.
He is so oblivious and dense to the point that he appears silly at times, doing absurd things such as trying on a girl's sailor uniform for research. Despite him being oblivious to Sakura's crush on him, he enjoys her presence and is often seen both around and outside of school with her.
As a manga artist, he has a lot of talent in drawing characters such as Suzuki and Mamiko but cannot create characters without using real people as models. He once tried creating new characters from scratch, but ended up with several male characters that looked identical to his male lead, Suzuki. Thus, he now gathers ideas for characters from people-watching. And along with Sakura and Mikoshiba, his background skills are lacking. Hori now helps him with the background, but before Hori arrived, Nozaki tried to avoid the problem of drawing backgrounds as much as possible.
- Main Article: Umetarou Nozaki/Plot
Nozaki respects Sakura, despite being oblivious towards her feelings regarding him. He also admires her artistic skills, as he had noticed - and was impressed by - Sakura's posters around the school, long before she first approaches him. Nozaki considers Sakura to be a good friend whom he is willing to confide in, sometimes going out of his way to ensure that she is not upset.
As a friend, Nozaki used Mikoshiba as a model for his heroine, Mamiko. Though unknown about where did he and Mikoshiba meet, it can be seen that Nozaki and Mikoshiba are close friends.
Nozaki first met Wakamatsu in his junior high school time, being an idol for him, as he was one of the starters in the basketball main team. Wakamatsu eventually ended up in the same high school as Nozaki, and he respects the latter just as much, though Wakamatsu still wanted Nozaki to sometimes play basketball with him.
Nozaki knows that Seo is the choir club's Lorelei and actively hides this fact from Wakamatsu. He views her as slightly intimidating. A side character, Oze, was modelled after her in Let's Fall in Love. Oze is the developing romantic interest of Waka, a side character modelled after Wakamatsu.
- [to Sakura about Mikoshiba]: "Although it started out as an observation to create a character, we quickly became good friends." 
- His birthday is on Plum Day (Ume, as in Umetarou, means plum).
- His family consists of his father, mother and two younger siblings in middle school (Mayu and Yumeko).
- His hobby consists of working on his manga and browsing the internet.
- He spends his holidays working and shopping.
- Nozaki is a self-proclaimed expert at love consultation.
- He is not good at dealing with anything related to Maeno.
- He prefers wearing dark colors.
- His best subjects are Modern and Classic Literature, Japanese History and Home Economics.
- His worst subjects are World History and English.
- His elective subject is Art.
- His favorite food is rice.
- His least favorite food is European cuisine.
- His type of girl is 'a girl who has determination'.
- His gym elective is judo.
- In the character popularity poll conducted in the fanbook, Nozaki ranked 6th.
- He was part of the 18th graduating class in middle school.