|Also Known as||President (部長 buchō)|
|Physical and Vital Statistics|
|Manga||Volume 1 Chapter 5|
|Japanese Voice||Yuuki Ono|
|English Voice||Adam Noble|
Masayuki Hori (堀 政行 Hori Masayuki) is the president of Roman Academy's drama club. Although he is very good at acting, his short height makes him unqualified for most lead roles and his amazing acting makes him stand out too much to play a side character. Therefore, he works behind the scenes painting sets and making props instead.
Hori is a short young man with short brown hair that is usually styled up with wax. Naturally, his fringe gathers in the center of his forehead. When asked by Kashima about why he chooses to spike his hair up, he stated that he prefers his hair spiked up since wearing his bangs down makes him look younger.
Hori's school uniform consists of a blue shirt which is tucked into dark navy blue trousers. He wears a navy blue tie that is usually placed in his pocket when working, but taken out during school hours or outside. He also leaves his top button undone with sleeves rolled up to his elbows.
During the summer festival, he wore a plain blue shirt which was tucked into dark green pants.
Hori is very diligent when it comes to the drama club and never slacks off during rehearsals. On the outside he comes off as mature and polite, however, Hori has a short temper and is easily angered. This is shown through his violence conduct towards Kashima when she makes inappropriate comments or tries to skip club meetings - typically using physical force to get her to behave.
Hori also has a slightly childish side. He has drawn briefs as beta markers on Nozaki's manga, enthusiastically discussed the former with Sakura, and talked about raw octopus with Kashima in the hot springs. Hori is also quite shallow and often judges people on their appearance. This is shown through his comparison of Mikoshiba's face to that of Kashima, and the fact that he is primarily attracted to womens' legs.
When acting, Hori conducts himself composedly and speaks in a cool tone of voice.
According to Nozaki and Sakura, Hori has talent for drawing backgrounds due to his comprehensive understanding of perspective. He has once given Nozaki a lesson on this. He is also a very skilled actor, according to Kashima, Sakura and much of the drama club. Hori's carpentry skills are shown through the props he makes for the Drama Club. It is stated in the official fanbook that he has 'mastered the art of building stages'. Hori also an excellent sense of spatial perception - the ability to note the size, shape, movement and orientation of objects in order to draw accurate buildings.
In elementary school, a female classmate gave Hori handmade chocolate that upset his stomach. Ever since then, he dislikes handmade food. Despite claiming he won't eat anything handmade, he will still eat something handmade by someone he knows well. During the Valentines Day arc, Kashima secretly gave Hori handmade chocolates, but even if she did not do it secretly, Hori would have still eaten it.
According to Kashima, Hori is the person that brought her into the school with his superb acting. He had not known she was a girl, and apparently was surprised when he found out.
After Kashima joined the drama club, Hori quit being an actor, claiming that the club had found the perfect main male character. He started to help make props for the drama club and directing the plays, and found that it was more interesting than acting, which led to him completely specializing in that aspect.
- Main Article: Masayuki Hori/Plot
While Hori tends to be violent towards Kashima, particularly when she is disrupting the club activities, he appreciates her when she works hard and tries her best.
Kashima is loyal and fond of Hori. Kashima cares about Hori's aspirations and goes out of her way to fulfill them. During the course of the series, Kashima has mistaken Hori for wanting to be a princess in a play and to wear feminine attire, such as blouses and skirts. On these occasions, Kashima has tried her best to support Hori by giving him clothes or reassuring him that they are friends.
In one episode Kashima gives a sleeping Hori a piggy-back ride while wearing a bull head. When Hori wakes up and sees Kashima take off the mask he has a slight blush to his face showing that he likes her. While he thought it was a bit stupid he didn't forget about it.
Hori is also infatuated with Kashima's legs. Her legs are often described as "pretty legs girl", as Hori does not not know the identity of the owner of the legs, although Kashima has been trying to convince him that "pretty legs girl" is actually her.
Nozaki was originally hired by Hori to create scripts for his drama club, and in exchange, Hori would draw backgrounds for his manga. They grew to be friends, and Hori usually confides in Nozaki and Sakura in his dealings with Kashima and the drama club.
On multiple occasions Hori has asked for Nozaki for advice and Nozaki asking him. Hori knows that Chiyo has a crush on Nozaki (well I think everyone but Nozaki does) yet he doesn't seem to attempt to help.
- His birthday is on good knee-high socks day which is celebrated in Japan.
- Hori lives with his dad, his mom, and his younger brother who is also in high school.
- In the 5th anniversary poll, Tsubaki mentioned that she has plans to include Hori's younger brother in the manga as 'a tall boy who wears glasses'.
- In assisting Nozaki, he is in charge of backgrounds.
- His hobbies are movie appreciation, watching plays and travelling. He spends his holiday by watching movies.
- Hori's good at memorizing road (spatial perception) and carpentry.
- Hori's weakness is how easily he becomes intoxicated from consumption of alcohol.
- His style of choice is ordinary high school uniform.
- His best subjects are mathematics and physics. He doesn't do well in Classic Literature. His elective subject is Calligraphy.
- Hori's favourite food is Pork Ramen. He does not like homemade cooking made by amateurs (especially sweets).
- Hori's type of girl is girls with nice legs.
- He knows of Chiyo's feelings towards Nozaki
- After realizing that Mamiko's model is Mikoshiba, he occasionally calls Mikoshiba 'Mami-koshiba' by accident.
- He ranked 2nd on the character popularity poll, according to the official fanbook.
- As of chapter 72 of the manga, he and Mikoshiba are the only characters that do not know that the other is an assistant of Nozaki.